Eva and Serge would like to welcome you to the holiday accommodation in an ancient watermill set in the gentle rolling hills of the lovely Charente department of south-west France, where you will find ample signeposted walking, hiking and bicycles trails for you to discover. Discovery, however, starts in the 9 ha (22 acres) park that offers a variety of leisure activities and possibilties to relax and unwind.
Two bedroom gite, sleeps four plus a baby
Bienvenue au Moulin de Guitry, Gite paysan***
In brief (click to open, click again to close)
- 2 bedroom, 4 persons plus a baby
- Gîte paysan*** : characteristic apartment om the first floor of an ancient water mill
- Well equiped kitchen-dining are with dishwasher, TV, DVD, free internet, large bathroom with bath and two bedrooms each containing two single bed of 90x200 cm.
- Private park of 9 ha (22 acres) with fresh water springs, pond, small rivers, waterfalls, wild and cultivated flowers, small vegetable garden, orchard and farm yard.
- Ancient bakery renovated into a convivial space with wood burner
- Terace, garden room, barbecue, small barge, four bicycles at your disposal
- Open year round
- Thank you for not smokomg
- English, French and Swedish spoken
- Moulin de Guitry is at a distance of 1 km to Champagne-Mouton (in the Charente Limousine), an ideal region for hiking and bicycle tours
- Mouin de Guitry is a a natural site favouring relaxation and reinvigoration
- Nearby: Picturesque villages, Romanesque churches and chapels, castles, festivals, fishing, bathing, canoeing, themed gardens. Cognac. Limoges, Angoulême andPoitiers.
Rates (click to open, click again to close)
- € 500 per week from 15/06 to15/09 (€ 450 if you stay more than one week)
- € 400 per week for the rest of the year
- € 180 week-ends (2 nights) outside the peak season
- Please contact us should you want accommodation at Moulin de Guitry during one of our courses
Included in the price:
- sheets and towels, the beds will be made upon your arrival
- ecological detergents
- green electricity
- central heating
- the use of a small barge
- four bicycles
- tourist tax
- cleaning at the end of your stay
Contact (click to open, click again to close)
Eva Florenstam and Serge Roy
Moulin de Guitry
16 350 Champagne-Mouton
Tel: (0033) (0)5 45 30 01 05
Portable: (0033) (06) 73 43 51 96
Please us the form to contact us by email.
Eva and Serge will be happy to welcome you at Moulin de Guitry and will do their best to provide you with a pleasant holiday.
Accommodation (click to open, click again to close)
The first floor of Moulin de Guitry has been renovated into a gite*** with two bedrooms to accommodate four persons plus a baby.
After climbing the stairs, you enter the well equiped kitchen-dining area. After that, you enter the first bedroom that has a window with a view of the yard. The second bedroom is adjacent to the first and has a view of the garden and the small river. The large bathroom is situatied behind the kitchen. The decoration of the rooms is harmonious, notably because of the uplifting original paintings by contemporary Swedish artist Jette Stolz. You will find her lively and lovely painting in every room.
- The gîte has a surface of 76 m2
- The two bedrooms each have two single beds of 90x200 cm.
- Stool and baby cot available upon request
- Induction stove. Refrigerator/freezer. Dishwasher. Microwace. Toaster. Electric kettle. Coffeemaker. Limoges China.
- TV, DVD and free internet
- Books about the region and tourist information
- Solar heated hot water installation
- Barbecue, garden furniture and small barge for your use
- The yard and the teraces bordering the water are secured by fencing
- In addition, you will have access to the ancient bakey that has been transformed into a convivial space with a wood burner for the winter months. The bakery can sit twenty people on a surface of 27 m2
- At Moulin de Guitry we have two dogs, four cats, free ranging chicken, ducks and sheep. The presence of the dogs prohibits bringing your own.
- The gîte is part of the Accueil Paysan network. Accueil Paysan facilitates local development and encourages rural life
Moulin de Guitry (click to open, click again to close)
It is in the peaceful countryside of the South-West of France that you will find this ancient water mill among gentle rolling hills traversed by little streams and walking paths.
The Saint Jacquas path passes the picturesque villare of Nanteuil-en Vallée (7 km). Moulin de Guitry is situated on the banks of the small river l'Argent (the 'Silver') that can be seen on maps from the 16th century although the water mill is of a more recent date, construction having taken place in the middel of the 19th till the beginning of the 20th century. The water mill was in use until the middle of the last century and the bakery (for bread) until 1976. f
Eva and Serge will be your hosts. Eva is Swedish and has lived in the Charente since 1993. Serge is indigenous to the département. Both know the surroundings very well and they can give you advice on all sorts of outings and activities. It is with pleasure and an ecological spirit that we have opened a new trail that connects the five natural sources in our grounds and which are called 'la fontaine de sainte Gême'.
The park of 9 ha (22 acres)
Being nature lovers themselves, Eva and Serge, have developed the park with as much respect for nature as possible. Near the mill different varieties of trees and shrubs offer a colourful interplay with their foliage. Cultivated flowers grow alongside wild one. The meadows, vegetable garden and orchard are animated with chicken, ducks and sheep.
The water is omnipresent and takes the shape of a canal, a pond, streams and waterfalls and emanate an atmosphere of relaxation and serenity.
The forest, with its walking paths, invites you to a meditative or relaxing walk. By ways of a route, you will discover the natural water sources of Saint Gem, places of calm and peace.
- Moulin de Guitry is situated in the north-east of the Charente département
- The cities of Poitiers and Limoges are one hour away, Angouleme 45 minuttes
- Once in Champagne-Mouton the mill is signposted, take the directio of Civray on the D176
- You are equally welcome if you don't own a car or drive
- The nearest train station is at Ruffec Charente
- Train stations with car rental are at Poitiers and Angouleme, which are both served by fast trains from and to Paris many times a day
Leasure activities at Moulin de Guitry (click to open, click again to close)
Some suggested activities at Moulin de Guitry
- Take a healthy, challenging walk along our signposted 3 km long walk through the forest
- Children have the opportunity to meet our animals or make self made ships to sail on the pond
- Why not play a game of table tennis?
- There is a selection of games for children to play
- Row the little boat on the pond
- Make a secret play cabin in the forest
- Relax by the waterside
- Pick wild flowers to make a countryside bunch
- Pick wild plants and herbs for your salad or soup
- Your yard and terrace bordering the water are secured by a fence
- Moulin de Guitry is a great place for kids, they love it here
- Follow a course (see the news flashes to the right)
Nearby activities (click to open, click again to close)
The small village of Champagne-Mouton is at a distance of one kilometer. Here you will find two weekly markets, two bakeries, a pharmacy, bank, post office, supermarket, GPs and so on
The countryside is characteristic with its gentle rolling hills and picturesque villages. The Saint Jacques Route passes seven kilometers away through the lovely village of Nanteuil-en- Vallée. The nearest towns are Confolens, Charroux, Civray, Mansle andSaint-Claud. Angoulême is at 55 km. Poitiers 80 km. Limoges 80 km. Cognac 90 km.
Bordeaux et La Rochelle à environ 170 km.
Cross country walking
The region is particularly kown for its extensive network of walking paths. There are 13 circuits, varying from 6 to 16 km, around Champagne-Mouton alone.
Eva andSerge will be happy to accompany you should you want so.
There are four bicycles at your disposition to enjoy the region which is particularly pleasurable because of the numerous signposted circuits.
Charente is famous for its many Romanesque churches and chapels as well as its monasteires.
A visit to Gallo-Roman baths at Chassenon or the impressive Gallo-Roman amphitheater makes a great outing.
A significant number of often impressive castles dots the Charente countryside. To name a few: La Rochefoucauld, Rochebrune, St Germain de Confolens, Verteuil and many others.
There is a weekly market on Tuesday and Fridays in Champagne-Mouton. In the summer there are many so called "marchés de producteurs" (local produce markets) in the area. Here, you can eat your dinner with the locals in the open air in a festive ambiamce. There is an organic market and producer in the are, www.fermedechassagne.fr.
There are numerous festival throughout the year. You will find a printed listing upon your arrival. Call or mail us for information.
Bathing is possible at the lakes of "Les lacs de Haute-Charente" (40 min by car) and in the Charent river (15 min by car).
Ask us about the nearby possibilities.
Theme parks and garden
- Futuroscope, La Vallée des Singes, Le Village gaulois. Arboretum et jardins.
- Cognac and its distilleries
- Limoges and its China
- Angoulême and its comics
Websites to explore (click to open, click again to close)
Courses (click to open, click again to close)
Moulin de Guitry is also a site for nature-related and wellness courses with a maximum of 14 participants.
So far, we have hosted courses on:
- en herboristerie familiale (école lyonnaise de plantes médicinales), en gastronomie sauvage, en
- co-créativité avec la nature, radiesthésie, Ikebana ( art floral japonais) et constellation familiale